HLT is a 1-day course for novice and experienced hikers that provides leadership and facilitation skills for planning, organizing and leading fun, safe hikes with youth.
Course materials, outdoor equipment, and trail snacks are all included in course price.
For all skill levels
Realistic & Practical
learn fun games for the trail, leave no trace, the natural history of open spaces, risk management, and navigation.
Things you will learn:
Course consists of six hours experiential learning on a trail in either the East Bay, South Bay, or San Francisco. Some of the topics covered during the training include: fun games for the trail, leave no trace, the natural history of open spaces, risk management, meal planning, navigation, and more. In the South Bay, we have a partnership program with the Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority
- Course materials are included.
- Participants are expected to wear footwear and clothing appropriate for hiking and for changes in weather (hot, cold, rain, etc.). Bay Area Wilderness Training can provide boots and rain gear upon request.
- Snacks included
- Carpooling can be arranged
- group management
- risk management
- map reading and navigation
- natural history
- leave no trace
- cultural relevancy through outdoor experiences
- fun trail games and more.
Partial Access to Gear
- Folks that complete HLT will gain partial access to our Gear Libraries.
Benefits for completing training
Experiences in nature can be educational, healing, community building, empowering.
Who is it for? Anyone working with youth.
Develop your personal outdoor leadership skills and
learn how to make outdoor experiences an integral part of your work.
- in-school aids
After School Programs
- after school site-coordinators
- after school line staff
- directors of youth agencies
- nonprofit organization youth leaders
- anyone who works or volunteers with youth or works on behalf of youth
Pricing is tiered – preference given to South Bay applicants
More than 80% of the youth attending the school or served by the organization identify as youth of color
More than 40% of the youth attending the school or served by the organization qualify for free or reduced lunch programs
Does not meet criteria:
- Less than 80% of the youth attending the school or served by the organization identify as youth of color
- Less than 40% of the youth attending the school or served by the organization qualify for free or reduced lunch programs
Dates: Saturday, October 26, 2019
Time: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Location: Rancho Cañada del Oro, Morgan Hill
Santa Clara County Scholarships: 6 available
Partial Scholarships available through the summit scholarship program, click HERE for more information.
What Our Students Say
“BAWT has been instrumental in helping me accomplish my goal of exposing youth to nature… On top of the wonderful experience of bonding, sharing, and laughing through thoughtful engaging activities, I learned that for years I had been doing things wrong (at least not the most organized, effective, and time saving way). My planning, preparation, and organizational skills increased two fold, minimally. The impact my new skills had on the next youth camping trip….priceless. I was so much more competent and confident. This relieved a huge amount of stress associated with the trip and made it far more enjoyable for staff and myself.”
So excited to continue the growth of our club. This was our 5th completed trip this year, and I feel so grateful that it’s beginning to feel like a real institution and space respected in the school! Thank you BAWT, for your dedication to supporting all humans in experiencing the healing and power of Mother Earth. Excited to continue our partnership!
Leadership High School
Exerpt from 2018 Wild Club Trip Reflection
Wilderness Leadership Training
WLT is a 5-day immersive backpacking course and comprehensive outdoor leadership experience that gives teachers and youth workers the confidence and skills needed to take their groups on multi-day backpacking adventures. .
Wilderness First Aid
Frontcountry Leadership Training