FIRST AID (WFA)
Wilderness medicine is the practice of medicine when professional care is more than an hour away – sometimes even days. This can be due to environmental extremes, such as those found on backpacking or hiking trips. Wilderness First Aid course is essential for any backpack trip leader or wilderness professional for gaining the confidence and the skills to handle a first aid emergency in the backcountry.
Basic wilderness first aid topics
- 16-hour course is instructed by Bobbie Foster of Foster Calm.
- The course covers basic wilderness first aid topics such as patient assessment, shock and bleeding, head and spinal injuries, wounds, heat and cold illnesses and much more.
- WFA is a highly experiential 2-day class for everyone who wants to learn how to handle medical situations in the backcountry.
For all skill levels
No previous experience necessary. Learn by doing in a safe, friendly setting with your peers.
- Classes are fun, with lots of hands-on skills.
- The emphasis is on making good decisions by staying calm and safe.
Realistic & Practical
- Curriculum meets the highest standards in wilderness medicine, wilderness first response, and wilderness first aid training.
- Certification available after successful completion and wilderness exam.
Who is it for? Anyone working with youth.
Develop your personal outdoor leadership skills and
learn how to make outdoor experiences an integral part of your work.
- in-school aids
After School Programs
- after school site-coordinators
- after school line staff
- directors of youth agencies
- nonprofit organization youth leaders
- anyone who works or volunteers with youth or works on behalf of youth
General public pricing: For those who have not taken a course with Bay Area Wilderness Training.
BAWT Alumni: For those who have been trained by taking a Bay Area Wilderness Training course.
Dates: October 26-27, 2019
Time: 8am to 5pm
Location: Urban Promise Academy, Oakland
Hiking Leadership Training
1-day course for novice and experienced hikers provides leadership and facilitation skills for planning, organizing and leading fun and safe hikes with youth.
Wilderness Leadership Training
Five day intensive entry-level backpacking course designed to give you the tools you need to lead youth on multi-day backpacking adventures.
Frontcountry Leadership Training
Our FLT is an entry-level “car camping” course that covers all the basic skills and resources needed to take youth safely and successfully on overnight trips